The Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (View other jobs from this organisation)
The Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (DJPR) was established on 1 January 2019 to ensure Victoria's strong economic performance by growing industries and regions. Here at DJPR, we're making sure Victoria's economy benefits all Victorians by creating more jobs for more people, building thriving places and regions and nurturing inclusive communities.
We are committed to building a culture where we say 'yes' to flexible work arrangements, provide personal and professional development programs and support ways of working that help employees balance work and life.
The department is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds.
As part of the Machinery of Government changes announced by the Premier of Victoria, on 1 Jan 2019 DJPR transitioned from DEDJTR.
- $84,019 – $95,329 (Plus Superannuation)
- Fixed Term (3 years)
- Usual hours of work: Full Time (flexibility may be available)
- Usual work location: Ellinbank (flexibility may be available)
The position of Research Scientist forms a part of the Agriculture Victoria Research within Agriculture Victoria.
The Agriculture Victoria Research Branch represents DJPR’s agricultural research and development function. The Agriculture Research Branch provides a discipline-based science and technology delivery function in the following areas:
a) Genomics and Cellular Sciences;
b) Microbial Sciences, Pests and Diseases;
c) Plant Sciences;
d) Plant Production Sciences;
e) Animal Production Sciences; and
f) Agriculture Resources Sciences.
Agriculture R&D is delivered via an ‘innovation ecosystem’ that converges government, industry/agribusiness and academia/knowledge centres into clustered and collaborative networks, with a clear focus on science and technology for productivity and biosecurity outcomes. It delivers a continuity of research and development activities across DJPR’s priority areas while also elevating the importance of agricultural R&D in DJPR.
Based at Ellinbank, this position will undertake research activities within the DairyFeedbase program and will focus on research projects that aim to improve the profitability of pasture based dairy systems. This will be achieved through innovative research, including field and laboratory based experimental activities, the implementation of pasture and animal-based sensor technologies, and science excellence, supported by technical efficiency, business processes, technology adoption and knowledge management.
To be successful in this role you will demonstrate:
- Knowledge of the principles and operation of ruminant production systems, with emphasis on dairy production systems in Victoria and Australia.
- Research experience in ruminant nutrition with a focus on strategies to increase productivity.
- Research experience undertaking field based experimental studies and interpretation and applicability of generated information for the target industries.
- Well-developed communication skills, with proven ability to develop and maintain relationships with peers and key stakeholders, and a track record of publication of scientific work in science journals and at science conferences, highlighting the ability to effectively present results of research to a range of audiences.
A degree in Agricultural Science, Science or an equivalent science qualification, with post-graduate qualifications in ruminant nutrition, grazing ecology or animal physiology is mandatory.
For a confidential discussion, please call Joe Jacobs, Research Director – Animal Production Sciences on 03 5624 2205 or 0427 947 692
Successful candidates will be required to undergo National Police Records and qualifications checks prior to commencing employment with the Department.
For further information on the position and to apply, please click the ‘Apply Now’ button below.
Applications close at midnight on 30 June 2019 and must address the Key Selection Criteria outlined in the Position Description.
- Closing Date:
- 30 Jun 2019
- Work Type: