Senior Occupational Therapist - [Archived Advertisement]
Forensicare (View other jobs from this organisation)
- Part-time, Fixed-Term until August 2019
- Located in Melbourne’s Western Suburbs
- New state of the art facility
- Free onsite parking
Forensicare is the statutory agency responsible for the provision of adult forensic mental health services across Victoria.
Completed in 2017, the new medium-security men's prison is built at Ravenhall in Melbourne's west, providing world-class forensic mental health services in Victoria.
The new forensic mental health beds are located in a purpose built state of the art facility developed to international best practice standards.
About the role:
This role is based on the Moroka Unit at Ravenhall Correctional Centre, which is focussed on supporting patients displaying complex and challenging behaviours.
The role of the Senior Occupational Therapist is to plan, implement, evaluate and document Occupational Therapy assessment and treatment, including the completion and facilitation of Occupational Therapy specific assessments and interventions as well as group activities designed to develop/maintain opportunities for engagement in meaningful occupations, skill development and to support the therapeutic milieu of the environment.
The position will promote the benefits of participation and performance in meaningful occupations as essential to the whole of health, through liaison, collaboration and consultation with key stakeholders.
- Assess, interpret and intervene to improve occupational performance through identifying individual needs.
- Work with individuals to reduce engagement in criminogenic occupations, minimise the presence of occupational risk factors, and the need for restrictive interventions.
- Take a leading role within the clinical team on occupational performance issues, functional skill development, and in promoting engagement in meaningful occupations.
- Participate in the assessment and treatment of patients through group work and individual sessions.
- Convey clinical information of a high professional standard in both verbal and written formats.
Qualification, skills and experience:
- Demonstrated commitment to mental health consumer recovery.
- Current Registration with AHPRA.
- Approved degree in Occupational Therapy recognised for membership of OT Australia – Australian Association of Occupational Therapists.
- Knowledge and understanding of the OT Australia – Australian Association of Occupational Therapists Code of Ethics and a commitment to working in a manner consistent with the code.
- Demonstrated highly developed skills in the mental health field, knowledge and understanding of the needs of mentally ill people and of the issues of care delivery in forensic mental health.
- Demonstrated ability to establish rapport and to work collaboratively, flexibly and responsibly with patients, their families and carers, members of the multi-disciplinary team and colleagues.
- Solid conceptual understanding of the theories of occupational performance including the Model of Human Occupation and be committed to understanding and improving patient functioning through formal assessment and treatment using recognised Occupational Therapy models of intervention.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise staff.
- Ability to examine own performance, identifying strengths and limitations, to engage constructively in clinical supervision, and have a commitment to applying knowledge learned to practice.
All Occupational Therapy applicants are required to submit their profile for this position on our eCredentaling system. If you are a new user of Mercury eCredentaling and do not have a current profile, you will be required to register. If you are an existing user of Mercury eCredentaling, please log in using your existing username and password.
Click on link below (or copy and paste in your browser) to submit your profile
We value our staff and provide a range of employee benefits including:
- Great salary packaging conditions
- Excellent leave entitlements
- Ongoing training and full orientation
- Comprehensive Health and Wellbeing Programs including: Staff health service, Critical Incident Stress Management and Employee Assistance Programs.
Forensicare values a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
This position is subject to a Police Check.
Forensicare promotes the following values: responsiveness, integrity, impartiality, accountability, respect and leadership; and promotes behaviours that are consistent with these values at all times. Forensicare is an equal opportunity employer and offers a smoke free environment.
- Closing Date:
- 09 Nov 2018
- Work Type:
- Full Time