Senior Officer Contract up to Three Years
City of Melbourne is committed to supporting diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Applicants seeking flexible and part-time arrangements are encouraged to apply.
For more information on what it is like working with us at City of Melbourne please go to working with us at City of Melbourne
City of Melbourne recognises the value of the diversity and strength of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures to the heritage of all Australians and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply. You will be supported in your application via our Aboriginal Employment Team.
How this position will Make the Difference to City of Melbourne…
The People and Culture Branch is responsible for the implementation of People and Culture policy and strategy that contributes to the achievement of organisational goals by optimising the performance and management of staff.
The Business Partnering and Employee Relations team sits within the People and Culture Branch and works closely with all teams within the Branch supporting the People and Culture needs of the organisation. Each Business Partner has an assigned portfolio within City of Melbourne.
As the Manager you will be responsible for leading, managing and developing the Business Partnering and Employee Relations team, and ensuring a smooth ER environment in the organisation.
The position is a senior role with City of Melbourne and therefore will:
- Lead the negotiation and implementation of City of Melbourne’s enterprise bargaining process.
- Manage the delivery of key People and Culture objectives to achieve a strong alignment between workplace strategies affecting employees and City of Melbourne’s Organisational Plan, including operationalising strategic workforce planning, talent management and succession via the Business Partners, and the organisation’s approach to change
- Provide expert business partnering advice, IR and ER advice in respect to workplace, and employee / industrial relations issues, both strategically and operationally.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence. This includes a personal commitment to ensuring the team embraces EO and diversity principles
- High degree of professional maturity
- Proven ability to lead, develop and motivate a team of HR professionals
- Tertiary qualifications in HR, IR, Law or Business (Post Graduate qualifications highly desirable)
- Ability to build effective working relationships with Leaders, understanding their business drivers and individual needs to create significant business value
- Extensive expertise and experience in providing advice on industrial relations issues, including interpretation of legislation and agreements
- Significant experience in the negotiation and development of Enterprise Agreements
- Sound knowledge and experience with the Fair Work Commission and other relevant legal authorities
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and persuasion skills including discretion and judgement in dealing with a complex administrative and political environment
- Proven experience in providing advice in a concise and professional manner to Executive and senior management
- Ability to negotiate with staff, management and unions on organisational issues
- Highly developed communication skills (verbal and written) for the ability to prepare clear and concise policies, reports and recommendations
To view the physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- attach a separate cover letter
Please address your covering letter to Clive Peter, Manager People and Culture
The Advertised Close Date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers.
City of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
If you have a disability and require advice and support during the recruitment process, we encourage you to apply or contact us on the details listed below.