Visiting Medical Officer - Emergency Medicine
Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District (View other jobs from this organisation)
Visiting Medical Officer - Emergency Medicine
Employment Type: Visiting Medical Officer
Position Classification: Visiting Medical Off
Hours Per Week: Zero hours Reliever
Requisition ID: REQ459819
Scope across the district | VMO zero hours reliever | REQ459819
Together, we can do more.
Are you a passionate and motivated individual looking to pursue a career in Emergency Medicine on the south coast of NSW?
Then you could be the perfect Emergency Medicine Specialist to join the senior team at the Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District (ISLHD).
We’re looking for a qualified Emergency Medicine Specialist who:
- Is driven to provide highest standard of care for patients.
- Is dedicated to a just and kind culture.
- Is able to work as a team leader or team member as required within the various departments.
- Be adaptable to working in departments of different size and capability ranging from our regional referral centre to the new Urgent Care Centre at Bulli.
- Participate in teaching and training at all levels of undergraduate and postgraduate medicine.
This temporary position as a Visiting Medical Officer will support the Emergency Medicine service and Urgent Care Centre across the District through planned leave coverage and roster gaps as they arise. The successful candidate will provide a high standard of patient care within the scope of practice granted by the Medical and Dental Appointments Advisory Committee. The Emergency Medicine Physician will be responsible for providing care to patients presenting to our emergency departments / Urgent Care Centre.
There are 4 main Emergency Departments: Wollongong is the Regional Referral Centre and has 36mths Accredited training with ACEM. Shellharbour ED has 12 mths and is the home of the district Ultrasound special skills term. Shoalhaven ED has 12 mths and is also accredited for training with ACRRM. Milton Ulladulla ED is mostly run by GPs with FACEM input via regular education.
The new Urgent Care Centre at Bulli is extending its hours of operation. It is staffed by a combination of Nurse Practitioners, GPs and FACEMs. The Urgent care centre has strong links with Wollongong based on proximity and being the regional referral hub.
The District Emergency Service enjoys a close working relationship between all the Emergency Departments and the Urgent Care centre. We work together to support each other to provide the best care possible for our patients. We also have a keen interest in staff wellbeing and work hard to provide a pleasant environment in which to work. The District also has a direct link to the University of Wollongong who are leaders in many areas of research.
Enjoy a healthy work-life balance with Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District.
From Helensburgh in the north to North Durras in the south, ISLHD covers an area of 5,687 square kms. That’s 5,687 square kms of beautiful beaches, coastal cycling tracks, lush rainforests, incredible bushwalks and friendly people. The region is also host to many annual food, wine and arts festivals and events.
ISLHD operate seven hospital sites, employ over 8,500 staff and provide community health services across 58 locations. Commute times are short, childcare and schooling options are plentiful, and Sydney is close by.
Apply now by addressing the selection criteria below and submitting your resume.
Enquiries about this position from recruitment agencies will not be accepted. Candidates interested in this position must make their own enquiries and submit their own application.
- Specialist registration or eligible for specialist registration as a Medical Practitioner with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA).
- Fellowship of the Australasian College for Emergency Medicine (FACEM) and/or equivalent specialist recognition.
- Evidence of continuing medical education and self-monitoring/audit practices consistent with the scope of practice requirements of the position.
- Proven capacity and/or experience in the provision of effective high quality services, demonstrated through successful clinical practice in an environment appropriate to the requirements of the position including evidence of participation in quality improvement activities relevant to the specialty.
- Demonstrated commitment to teaching with experience in teaching both undergraduate and post graduate students and other staff of the hospital.
- Demonstrate the skills and attitudes appropriate as a Senior Medical Practitioner including modelling a high standard of professional behaviour to junior medical staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and harmoniously with medical and other health services colleagues as part of a multi-disciplinary health care team and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with patients, colleagues, and staff and to work as an effective member of the clinical team across multiple sites.
- Demonstrated experience in and commitment to research relevant to the role and needs of the Department.
- Visit the ISLHD website
- Learn more about ISLHD’s commitment to equal employment opportunity and other important information
- All NSW Health Category A workers are required to receive two doses of an approved or recognised COVID-19 vaccine registered for use by the Therapeutic Goods Administration to be considered compliant. You will be required to provide a record of your vaccination status if successful.
Successful applicants to the role must provide certified documentation of vaccination history and pathology as part of their recruitment documentation. The applicant must be certified as compliant with https://www1.health.nsw.gov.au/pds/ActivePDSDocuments/PD2023_022.pdf before employment can commence.
For role related enquiries or questions contact: Dr Simon Keane by emailing Simon.Keane@health.nsw.gov.au
For application enquiries contact: Alicia Ransley by emailing Alicia.Ransley@health.nsw.gov.au
Applications close: Monday 26 February 2024
Anticipated interview date: Mid to end March 2024
- Closing Date:
- 26 Feb 2024
- NSW - Wollongong
- Work Type: