- Assist and support programs & activities for Somali-Australian young women
The Youth and Family Services department is committed to working ethically in partnership with the community within a Citizenship Framework. This means that the department works to include and encourage community participation and respects the rights of individuals to have a say in decisions which affect them.
About the role
- You will assist in the engagement of CALD young people (primarily Somali-Australian young women) and the delivery of targeted programs with a focus on increasing community understanding and support around mental health, alcohol and drugs, positive employment outcomes and inter-community restorative justice approaches.
- Excellent working knowledge, insight and understanding of the Somali-Australian community and culture, and the ability to work effectively with Somali-Australian young women and their families essential.
- Tertiary qualification suitable for entry into the Youth Work field and/or experience
- Ability to network and develop productive positive partnerships with external stakeholders
- Ability to assist in the delivery of culturally appropriate information workshops including drugs and alcohol and mental health
- Good computer literacy, verbal and written communication skills.
- Practical working knowledge and understanding of Youth Work principles and practice
- Ability to successfully engage, communicate with and provide support to a culturally diverse range of young people, their families and communities.
- A current Victorian driver’s license and WWC check is essential
Employment screening Checks: National Criminal Record Check and Working with Children Check
Our Staff choose to align their career with Banyule by living the values of Respect, Integrity, Responsibility, Initiative and Inclusion, strong learning and development culture and the positive way we work in partnership with the community.
- Supportive team & flexible work arrangements
- Learning and development opportunities and health and wellbeing initiatives
- Hourly rate $32.79 to $34.82 plus super
- Temporary part time – 8 hours per week
- August 2021 to July 2023
- Greensborough & West Heidelberg location
For more information about this position please access a copy of the position description via the link below. To discuss your suitability contact Leonie Farrell Youth Services Coordinator Tel: 0439 395 967 for a confidential conversation.
To apply for this position, please include your resume and cover letter addressing the Key Selection Criteria outlined in the position description. For more information on how to apply, please refer to the Application Guidelines via the link below
Applications Close 11.45pm on: Wednesday 11 August 2021.
Banyule City Council is a child safe organisation and an equal opportunity employer. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.