Director - Enforcement Legal - [Archived Advertisement]
WorkSafe Victoria (View other jobs from this organisation)
Director - Enforcement Legal
- Executive Remuneration Package
- Significant Leadership role within the Legal & Governance Business Unit
- Melbourne CBD based opportunity with Hybrid working
About the role
The Director, Enforcement Legal will be responsible for leading all enforcement related legal services for WorkSafe, including WorkSafe’s legal strategy and operations related to the commencement and conduct of criminal Enforcement litigation of a summary or indictable nature.
The role is responsible for providing advice to the General Counsel and Executive Director of Legal & Governance, the Executive Directors of the Health and Safety and Insurance Business Units and the WorkSafe Executive Leadership Team generally, together with leading a division of legal teams that are responsible for ensuring WorkSafe enforces compliance with Victoria’s occupational health and safety and accident compensation laws in delivering on its strategic objectives.
The role requires highly specialised management, stakeholder engagement and legal skills and is required to use constructive, strategic and operational thinking to address new, emerging or existing regulatory or legal challenges and opportunities.
- Provide high level expertise and strategic advice on legal issues related to health and safety and compensation compliance and enforcement.
- Create strategies and establish internal practices to mitigate litigation risks and ensure effective responses when such risks materialise.
- Provide expert advice and direction to the General Counsel and other Executives on the operation of laws administered by WorkSafe.
- Collaborate cross-functionally within WorkSafe’s operational, legal & policy teams and advise and assist on litigation-related matters.
- Provide authoritative and expert advice in field of criminal law, criminal procedure and the law of evidence.
- Provide policy advice and direction which has a direct influence on program development and WorkSafe’s strategic direction on compliance and enforcement.
Please ensure you click here to view the Position Description provided for additional information on accountabilities for this role.
You are an extremely experienced legal professional who wants to make a difference. You are able to lead a large multi-disciplinary team and have demonstrated experience in managing a
team or teams of lawyers specialising in criminal, civil and/or regulatory litigation. You have extensive knowledge of Victorian compensation and safety laws and criminal law and procedure as well as significant ability to build relationships and partnerships in a large organisation. Additionally, you will posses skills and qualifications:
- Demonstrated experience in managing complex and highly sensitive matters.
- An understanding of stakeholder issues associated with compensation and safety legislation.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, drive and implement change, including change management.
- Well-developed negotiation and influencing skills in an environment of competing organisational and stakeholder priorities and views.
- Well-established and demonstrated people leadership skills with previous experience leading teams with highly technical, multi-disciplinary skills.
- Admitted to practice as an Australian Lawyer with at least 10 years post admission experience in criminal regulatory law and hold a current practicing certificate.
Working with Us
At WorkSafe, we aspire for every employee to feel connected, safe and valued in their team, for teams to feel valued in the workplace, and for WorkSafe to be valued in the community.
We believe that a diverse workforce is the key to delivering the best outcomes for the Victorian community and strongly encourage applications from all people, including First Nations people and people with disability, diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, sexualities and genders.
People who are seeking part-time or job share arrangements are encouraged to apply.
Applications close 11:00pm – Friday 16th February, 2024. Click the link to apply, and join us in making a difference to Victorian lives.
Only people with the right to work in Australia may apply for this position. You may be required to undergo a National Police Check (and/or Medical Assessment) as part of the recruitment process.
Candidate screening may take place prior to the advertisement closing, so get your application in.
For further enquiries please contact Abbey Bernard via email – firstname.lastname@example.org
WorkSafe's Strategy has our core purpose front of mind – reducing workplace harm and improving outcomes for injured workers. We don’t shy away from the importance of our purpose to the Victorian community, that’s why we have a stated ambition to be world leading.
We want Victoria to be the safest place to work in Australia and one of the safest in the world; and we aspire to be a world leader in return to work after a workplace injury.
WorkSafe are striving to build a diverse workforce that reflects the Victorian community we serve.
- Closing Date:
- 16 Feb 2024
- VIC - Melbourne
- Work Type:
Occupational Health and Safety