Energy, Water and Portfolio Strategy Division
Water and Utilities – Metro Water Branch
Job title: Principal Planning Officer – Metro Water
Job Grade / Classification: Planning Officer (Professional) 3
Employment Status: Temporary, Full-Time
Duration: Up to 3 years
Number of Roles: 3
Job Location: Sydney CBD or Parramatta
The Department of Planning and Environment is the lead NSW Government agency in planning for a growing NSW.
The Department’s vision – Planning for a growing NSW: inspiring strong communities, protecting our environment – provides the benchmark for our partnership and leadership approach to engaging and working collaboratively with key State and Local Government, community and industry stakeholders to deliver better outcomes in the areas of planning, local government and the environment
About the roles: Principal Planning Officer – Metro Water
Do you have experience leading collaboration that drives innovative place-based infrastructure outcomes or policy reforms to help shape Sydney’s future?
A new, multi-disciplinary team of highly motivated professionals is being created to deliver the WaterSmart Cities Program.
These roles present an exciting opportunity for experienced planning, economics or policy professionals to improve the contribution water, wastewater and stormwater infrastructure makes to the liveability, productivity and resilience of urban communities across Greater Sydney (for more on the program visit www.metrowater.nsw.gov.au).
Essential Requirements/Skills and Experience:
• Degree in urban/town planning, urban design, economics, environmental management, engineering or other related field, or relevant experience in the water industry or with policies governing land use planning, environmental assessment or environmental regulation.
You must read the following documents prior to preparing your application:
• Role description
• Application Guide
• Applying for a role in the NSW public Sector
Job Notes: A Recruitment Pool may be established for future temporary and ongoing roles with similar focus capabilities. The Recruitment Pool may be available to hiring managers from DPE and other NSW Public Sector agencies over a 12 month period.
• Provide your personal information as prompted
• Attach your resume that sets out your education, work history and other facts about yourself that relate to the roles, emphasising your economics, policy or planning experience (maximum of 4 pages);
• Attach a cover letter that is relevant to the role (maximum of 1 page).
• Complete all the questions in the online application. Two of the questions will require you to provide specific examples from your economics, policy or planning experience (4000 character limit per question). These questions are shown below. Do not address these in your cover letter.
Q1. Provide an example of where you established a working partnership that led to a positive outcome for your project? What steps did you take to create shared value? What problems did you overcome and what was the outcome?
Q2. Give an example where you provided advice on a complex policy, economic or planning issue. What factors influenced your advice and how did your work contribute to the outcome?
Q3. What barriers or challenges have you run into on a project that you have led? What did you do about them? What was the outcome? What were the lessons learned?
The information provided in your application needs to show how you meet the focus capabilities and other essential requirements of the role. (Refer to the role description for details about the capabilities and the associated behaviour indicators. The role description also lists the essential role requirements.)
DPE is committed to providing a flexible, diverse and inclusive workplace. We are also committed to offering flexible work arrangements where possible. Candidates should discuss options available for this role with the hiring manager.