The New South Wales Minister for Primary Industries, Katrina Hodgkinson, has announced the commencement of the water sharing plan for the unregulated upper and middle NSW Murray sub-catchments and Upper Murray alluvium.

“The water sharing plan covers 15 unregulated surface water sources and one groundwater source in the NSW Murray River catchment in the Tumbarumba, Tooma, Corowa, Howlong and Deniliquin districts,” Ms Hodgkinson said.


“The plan will provide a secure and sustainable water supply for all users and improve the health of our riverine and groundwater dependent ecosystems.”

The Federal Minister for Sustainability and the Environment, Tony Burke, has hit out at a proposal by the Victorian Government to reintroduce cattle grazing to the state’s Alpine National Park.

Consult Australia has adopted the principles of the Department of Infrastructure’s Creating Places for People: an Urban Design Protocol for Australian Cities.

The Victorian Building and Plumbing Industry Commissioner Tony Arnel has resigned after 12 years in the position.

Recent results posted by the Victorian Government shows that the state’s food and fibre exports grew by 19 per cent, or $1.3 billion, to reach a record $8.07 billion total in 2010-11.

The December edition of the WA Resources and Economics Report, released by the Chamber of Minerals and Energy of Western Australia (CME), shows that the resources sector is continuing to display strong growth.

The CEO of the Financial Services Council and former leader of the NSW Liberal Party, John Brogden, has been appointed chairman of the NSW government’s property development corporation, Landcom. He replaces William Kirkby Jones who resigned from the position at the end of 2011 after 14 years in the role.  Mr Brogden will continue in his role with the Financial Services Council but will step down as a director of the Sydney Ports Corporation.

The ACT Government has reallocated half a billion dollars earmarked for the purchase of the Civic Government office block for investment in public health infrastructure in  Canberra, including building a new sub-acute hospital in northern Canberra.

Recruitment specialist Hays has released its January to March quarterly report into labour and skills demand, examining the ‘current hotspots of recruitment activity and trends’.

The Queensland State Government has set the State election as March 24, three years since Premier Anna Bligh was elected in 2009.

Newly-released trade figures show Western Australia's share of Australian exports continues to grow, while export volumes from South Australia also enjoyed strong growth last financial year.

Spanish company Acciona has announced it will construct a $400 million wind farm in Victoria’s Western District, six years after it received planning approval.

South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill has refused to rule out a high court appeal to block the Murray-Darling Basin Plan, which he describes as woefully inadequate, if substantial changes aren’t made.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh has announced the state’s Flood Commission of Inquiry will be extended to conduct further investigations into last year’s extensive flooding. Ms Bligh’s announcement comes after Commissioner Cate Holmes advised the Premier she would be holding further hearings and would require an extension to the Inquiry’s reporting date.

The Queensland Education Minister, Cameron Dick, has called for public comment on the State Government’s proposed multi-billion dollar Queensland Education Trust (QET) and how it should operate.

Mr Dick said six community forums would be held across the state from Wednesday, 1 February, to provide an opportunity for Queenslanders to talk about the mining royalties-funded QET.

“Ministers, including myself, will visit locations in Cairns, Townsville, Rockhampton, Brisbane and the Gold Coast to talk to community members about the QET,” Mr Dick said.

“The State Government wants to ensure all Queenslanders have an opportunity to share their views on how we use the boom in our resources sector to transform the opportunities available to children.

“The QET would be established by taking a 50 per cent share of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) royalties.

“This money could then be invested for the future education and training of Queenslanders.

“Over the long term, the QET would control billions of dollars to support education and training initiatives, giving Queensland’s young people a flying start into education and the workforce.”

Mr Dick said two different operational models for the QET were proposed:

  • Individual Trust Accounts for Education – an individual endowment that would mean every child born on or after 1 July 2012 would have a nest egg valued between $7800 and $9500 when they turn 18; or 
  • Dedicated Education Fund – an investment fund where the proceeds are reinvested by government in education and training initiatives beyond the basics throughout the schooling years and potentially beyond. 

“We want people’s feedback about the QET and how it should operate. For example, if individual endowment accounts are established, what eligibility criteria should apply? This is just one example of the questions we are asking Queenslanders,” Mr Dick said.


Details for the six community forums are: 

  • Wednesday, 1 February – Cairns – Cairns State High School 
  • Tuesday, 7 February – Townsville – Townsville State High School 
  • Wednesday, 8 February – Brisbane South – Mount Gravatt State High School 
  • Wednesday, 8 February – Gold Coast – Varsity College 
  • Thursday, 9 February – Brisbane North – Rainworth State School 
  • Thursday, 9 February – Rockhampton – Rockhampton State High School. 

More information is at at www.qld.gov.au/educationtrust.

Responses to the QET proposal paper can also be made online via the Get Involved website at www.getinvolved.qld.gov.au/gi/consultation/205/view.html; by emailing This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or by writing to: Education Trust, PO Box 15185, Brisbane 4002.

Consultation on the QET closes on Friday, 17 February.

Four new people have been appointed to the  NSW Innovation and Productivity Council which advises the Government on proposed programs and initiatives to promote both public and private sector innovation and productivity in NSW.

The Victorian Government has announced key appointments to overseas posts in an effort to raise Victoria’s international profile by creating new investment links in key markets.

The Queensland Government has announced the launch of the state’s first Integrated freight Strategy, aimed at ensuring the movement of freight meets the growing demand throughout the state.

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh has appointed an engineering expert to drive the Government’s plan to make Queensland a world centre of engineering excellence.

CommSec’s most recent State of the States report has found that the ACT has had the stand-out economy over the past quarter, while WA has slipped back.

The New South Wales Government has announced $7 million in grants to two esteemed research groups as part of the translational cancer research program.

Archived News

RSS More »