Research Agronomist - [Archived Advertisement]
Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (View other jobs from this organisation)
The Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (DJPR) was established on 1 January 2019 to ensure Victoria's strong economic performance by growing industries and regions. Here at DJPR, we're making sure Victoria's economy benefits all Victorians by creating more jobs for more people, building thriving places and regions and nurturing inclusive communities.
We are committed to building a culture where we say 'yes' to flexible work arrangements, provide personal and professional development programs and support ways of working that help employees balance work and life.
The department is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- $85,279 - $96,759 (Plus Superannuation)
- Fixed Term – until 9 September 2021
- Usual hours of work: Full Time (flexibility may be available)
- Usual work location: Horsham (flexibility may be available)
The position of Research Agronomist will develop innovative farming systems that deliver productivity improvements and environmental benefits in the grain growing regions of Victoria and south-east Australia, including the high value pulse industry. This position will -
- lead the design and delivery of research projects;
- lead a team of technical staff;
- operate a range of specialised research equipment used to sow, maintain and harvest trial sites, conduct soil and plant sample collection and undertake processing procedures;
- lead the reporting of research outcomes to stakeholders; and
- prepare scientific publications and technical reports.
The successful candidate for this position will demonstrate –
- a Degree in Agricultural Science, Agricultural Engineering, Engineering, Science or an equivalent science qualification;
- sound knowledge of cropping systems involving pulses;
- capacity to work successfully with a range of stakeholders in a collaborative environment;
- ability to supervise and train a team of technical staff;
- effective written and oral communication skills, with the ability to adapt to the needs of diverse audiences;
- ability to design and conduct research experiments; and
- capability in the operation of field machinery and scientific equipment, and skills in the operation of computer systems, data loggers and software programs.
This position is part of DJPR’s Agriculture Victoria Research branch within the Agriculture Victoria group. Agriculture Victoria works with industry and community stakeholders to support the agriculture, food and fibre sector to become more globally competitive, innovative and resilient.
For a confidential discussion, please call Jason Brand, Senior Research Scientist on 03 4344 3341 or 0409 357 076.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a National Police Records and Qualifications Check prior to commencing employment with the Department.
For further information on the position, and to apply, please go to www.careers.vic.gov.au and search on 021511.
Applications close at midnight on 1 October 2019 and must address the Key Selection Criteria outlined in the Position Description.
- Closing Date:
- 01 Oct 2019
- VIC - Melbourne
- Work Type:
- Full Time