Senior Officer Contract up to November 2020
City of Melbourne is committed to supporting diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Applicants seeking flexible and part-time arrangements are encouraged to apply.
For more information on what it is like working with us at City of Melbourne please go to working with us at City of Melbourne
City of Melbourne recognises the value of the diversity and strength of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures to the heritage of all Australians and encourages Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to apply. You will be supported in your application via our Aboriginal Employment Team.
How this position will make the difference to City of Melbourne…
This position is expected to demonstrate strong leadership, direction and people management competencies, with appropriate technical expertise, in order to drive the required business outcomes and services of the Lord Mayor’s Office (LMO). This position has a key role in providing office leadership, policy advice and support and assistance to the Lord Mayor across a broad range of activities.
The Chief of Staff must work collaboratively with others across the organisation taking an active role in contributing to the organisation’s imperative of ensuring effective governance and sound organisational and financial management.
The Chief of Staff is responsible for instilling effective strategic and business planning and high standards of people management within the LMO.
The Chief of Staff will be frequently dealing with confidential, political or sensitive matters therefore professionalism, responsiveness, attention to detail and discretion are required at all times.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- Reputation of being a professional leader, consistently displaying integrity, courage, respect for self and others and striving for excellence
- Relevant Tertiary qualification and/or significant experience including political acumen
- A record of achievement and innovation in people management and leadership in a dynamic and political environment, and creating an environment focussed on staff engagement, accountability and decision making
- Clear understanding of political and operational requirements, political processes and priorities.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with the ability to build exceptional and trusting relationships at all levels across Council and externally
- The ability to anticipate issues and develop sound issues management mitigation strategies
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a complex political environment
To view the physical requirements of this position, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- attach a separate cover letter, responding to the selection criteria as listed above under ‘You can bring…’
Please address your covering letter to Miriam Slattery, Manager Strategy and Partnerships
The position description for this role will not be provided at this stage of application.
The Advertised Close Date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers.
City of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
If you have a disability and require advice and support during the recruitment process, we encourage you to apply or contact us on the details listed below.