Temporary opportunity until 30 June 2019
This opportunity could be also considered as a secondment opportunity from one government organisation to another if approved.
City of Melbourne is committed to supporting diversity, inclusion and flexibility. Applicants seeking flexible and part-time arrangements are encouraged to apply.
For more information on what it is like working with us at City of Melbourne please go to working with us at City of Melbourne
How this position makes the difference to City of Melbourne…
The purpose of the position is to provide professional guidance and support on open space, parks and gardens policy and planning matters in the delivery of open space planning services to Council. The Senior Open Space Planner is responsible for policy development, strategic planning, delivery and long term management of the City of Melbourne’s open space network.
The Senior Open Space Planner position requires demonstrated experience and a sound knowledge in project management, for medium to large, complex projects and a demonstrated ability in exercising technical leadership and appropriate judgement in the delivery of projects relating to parks, gardens and reserves (in particular).
As a big picture thinker, the Senior Open Space Planner brings a high standard of critical and rigorous analysis of proposals and reports related to open space network outcomes, and collaborates and advises with internal and external parties on CoM open space policies and issues.
At a strategic level the Senior Open Space Planner develops master plans, policies and strategies for the open space network within the City of Melbourne. At a place based level they are responsible for the delivery of projects which deliver on the strategic intent.
You can bring… (Selection criteria)
- A tertiary qualification in Recreation, Landscape Architecture, Environment, Planning, Natural Resource Management, Horticulture or equivalent and/or extensive relevant experience in a similar role
- Proven high level analytical and conceptual skills and demonstrated experience in solving complex problems relating to open space networks, parks and gardens or environmental management.
- High level of project management skills and demonstrated experience in managing projects within timelines and budgets
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to represent Council in public forums and to negotiate win-win outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective team member
- Ability to select, supervise and monitor the performance of consultants undertaking the preparation of reports and other projects
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) as demonstrated by experience in preparing high quality reports and correspondence
- Familiarity with computerised data operating systems
- Ability to demonstrate and display City of Melbourne Values – accountability, integrity, courage, respect for self and others, and striving for excellence
To view the physical requirements of this position and the position description, please see below under Position Information.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume
- attach a separate cover letter
Please address your covering letter to Cath Olive, Team Leader Open Space Planning
The Advertised Close Date and other important information can be found on www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/careers.
City of Melbourne is an equal opportunity employer committed to providing a safe working environment that embraces and values child safety, diversity and inclusion.
If you have a disability and require advice and support during the recruitment process, we encourage you to apply or contact us on the details listed below.
City of Melbourne’s Recruitment Team and our Aboriginal Employment Advisor, Lesley Jackson-Lopa, welcome your general questions on (03) 9658 9140 or email@example.com between the hours of 8:30am and 1:00pm Monday to Friday.