We are NSW’s bulk water supplier, river operator and your one-stop shop for licensing, water trades and water information. We supply two thirds of water used in NSW from our 42 dams, rivers and pipelines to regional towns, irrigators, Sydney Water and local water utilities.
WaterNSW is seeking two experienced Hydroclimate Modeller’s to join the Water & Catchment Protection team. The successful candidate will develop and implement contemporary probabilistic hydro-climate modelling framework of extreme storms and their hydrologic impact on important declared dams including considerations for climate change, required to support Hydrologic Risk Assessments of rural NSW dams as a part of the broader Portfolio Risk Assessment Program of WaterNSW. Flexible Covid safe working arrangements as per WaterNSW policies are available, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Collate and develop quality assured catchments’ specific hydroclimate and hydrological data for all rural NSW valleys for further use in hydrologic modelling
- Update and maintain the existing models, modelling tools and products used for wide ranging applications in regional NSW
- Collaborate and engage with multiple key stakeholders across WaterNSW & external research partners
- Perform frequency analysis of hydroclimate extremes at priority locations and hydrologic modelling of extreme floods to support Portfolio Risk Assessment of all rural declared NSW dams.
- Contribute to the articulation of WaterNSW positions on key technical matters and assists in their development and implementation
Skills and Qualifications required:
- Relevant tertiary qualifications from an Australian educational institution in Hydrology, Atmospheric Science, Environmental Science, Computational Science or an equivalent/comparable overseas qualification
- Substantial domain expertise and experience in a similar role
- Ability to develop relationships with a wide range of stakeholders both internally and externally
- Demonstrated experience in the investigation of local and regional scale hydrologic impacts of climate variability and change
- Demonstrated expertise in developing and/or implementing complex scientific applications involving large datasets
- Knowledge and experience in the use of time series data sets for modelling, such as SCADA, HYDSTRA and real-time online data in water and environment sectors – favourable
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Current NSW Drivers Licence
- Attractive remuneration package, including performance bonus
- 2-year term – possibility to extend by 1 year
- A flexible, family friendly workplace (including hybrid work model & work from home options)
- Diverse and supportive team environment
- Excellent opportunity to grow in a high-profile organisation and role
WaterNSW is committed to the safety of employees and wider community, as such, full vaccination against COVID-19 will be a condition of entry to all our workplaces. All applicants will need to meet this condition.
The successful applicant will be required to undergo pre-employment checks including a National Police check and medical check. Any offer of employment will be subject to successful clearance of these checks.
Queries can be directed to: Recruitment@waternsw.com.au and the Position Description can be accessed here.
All applications must be lodged via an online application below - emailed applications will not be accepted.
Please note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applications close 5 June 2022.