Safety Advisor - [Archived Advertisement]
Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre (View other jobs from this organisation)
- Permanent Full- time position at an iconic venue
- (South Wharf CBD location) with flexible work options available
- Employer of Choice winner four years in a row
Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre (MCEC) is the home of unconventional. At MCEC we do things a little differently. We bring fresh ideas and imagination to every event. We happily turn concepts on their head to make each experience momentous.
We welcome events of all shapes and sizes, from board meetings and small celebrations through to conventions, gala dinners, exhibitions, and concerts. Our doors are open for events and moments that connect us - in person, virtual or hybrid, and everything in between.
Our city is our inspiration, located in the vibrant South Wharf precinct, just a stroll along the Yarra River. Melbourne is on show at MCEC - in the architecture and design, food and hospitality, AV technology, Customer Service, location, and views.
About the role
Achieve the highest standards and performance in Occupational Health and Safety by supporting internal and external stakeholders to deliver world-class events in a healthy and safe environment for everyone throughout the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre.
- Undertake compliance audits and workplace inspections including during bump in and bump out activities associated with events
- Provide secretariat support and subject matter advice to the OHS Committee
- Carry out investigations of incidents involving staff, contractors, and members of the public in consultation with relevant stakeholders
- Ensure that suitable control measures are implemented, maintained, and reviewed in accordance with MCEC's safety management system and legislative requirements
- Maintaining and storing accurate documentation in relation to safety compliance, workers compensation and safety management system accreditation requirements
- Safety Management Systems and AS/NZS 4801/ISO 45001 accreditation including internal and external audits
- Administration of cloud-based contractor management and safety management system databases
- Administration and coordination of workers compensation and return to work arrangements for both work related and non-work-related illnesses and injuries
- Apply knowledge of safety incident investigation processes
- Apply knowledge of contemporary hazard identification and risk management techniques
- Creation and implementation of training programs to enhance safe work practices to support MCEC leaders, employees, contractors, and event clients
- Work with MCEC's Health and Safety Representatives to ensure a cohesive and consultative approach to safety
- Support the Health and Wellbeing Advisor function and the Health and Wellbeing Committee as a subject matter expert
- Ensuring all MCEC stakeholders including Payroll, People & Culture, the employee's manager/supervisor and where applicable Workforce Scheduling, are informed of requirements relating to the injured worker's capacity and return to work
Qualifications, knowledge, and Experience:
- Tertiary qualifications in safety or a related discipline
- Construction Induction card training
- Workplace Training and Assessment training
- Return to Work coordinator training
- Experience in occupational health and safety in a busy multi-purpose venue or a similar hospitality complex or a service industry.
- Return to work experience in managing return to work practices including complex claims
- Sound conceptual and analytical skills.
- Presentation and report writing skills
- Ability to engage and consult with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Advanced computer skills in MS Office suite.
- Contractor management and safety system database experience
- Safety management system auditor training
- Membership and or accreditation with the Australian Health and Safety Institute or similar
- Experience with EBMS
- Experience with the administration of cloud-based contractor management and safety management system databases
- Knowledge of emergency management processes including evacuation
Working at MCEC
At MCEC we encourage ideas and imagination and support our people to be inspirational. Whatever your role, we'll foster the development of skills, insights, and leadership. You'll be working in a Melbourne icon, with a welcoming and supportive team. And there are many other benefits - 14 weeks paid parental leave; flexible work options; purchased leave; employee discounts; onsite restaurants, cafes, and parking; and South Wharf and the city at our doorstep. We are diverse, inclusive, and collaborative.
As an equal opportunity employer, we actively encourage applicants of all ages, gender, and background to apply. We acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre is built and value the knowledge of the oldest, continuous culture in the world.
Applications will be reviewed as they come in and suitable candidates contacted for an interview, so don't hesitate to apply! To apply for the role please submit a CV and cover letter via https://mcec.com.au/careers
A National Police Check will be required for the successful candidate
Please note: We encourage all MCET employees to have a COVID-19 vaccination to keep everyone safe.
MCEC is an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining, and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability, and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community, and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
- Closing Date:
- 17 Jul 2022
- VIC - Melbourne
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Occupational Health and Safety