WA announces new look cabinet
Western Australian Premier Colin Barnett has announced the State Government’s new cabinet, welcoming five new Ministers to the front bench.
Mr Barnett announced the following appointments:
- Ken Baston will become the new Minister for Agriculture and Food
- Mike Nahan will be given the portfolios of Energy, Finance, Citizenship and Multicultural Interests
- Tony Simpson will become the new Minister for Local Government, Community Services, Seniors and Volunteering and Youth
- Albert Jacob has been appointed the dual responsibilities of Environment and Heritage
- Joe Francis has been named the Minister for Emergency Services, Corrective Services as well as the new portfolio of Veterans.
“These members have all demonstrated their capacity and willingness to serve as parliamentary secretaries or as members of standing committees. Tony Simpson and Ken Baston have also been Government Whips in the Legislative Assembly and Legislative Council respectively.” Mr Barnett said.
Other changes will see the Premier follow through on the election commitment to add Science to his State Development portfolio, Helen Morton will add Child Protection to Mental Health; and Disability Services, Bill Marmion now takes the portfolios of Mines and Petroleum, along with Housing, Terry Redman will add Training and Workforce Development, as well as Water, to his existing responsibility for Forestry, Liza Harvey will take Small Business; and Women’s Interests and keep her existing portfolios of Police; and Road Safety, Peter Collier (Leader of the Government in the Legislative Council) adds Electoral Affairs to Education and Aboriginal Affairs, and Attorney General Michael Mischin will now also accept responsibility for Commerce.